Re: signals in ODBC? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Cedar Cox
Subject Re: signals in ODBC?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> > As I realized, the NOTIFY statement doesn't have a second parameter,
> > i.e. I cannot give any other signal to an other connection than
> > "Yes" or "No". What about future plans?
>
> No future plans afaik. Commercial Ingres allowed a text string to be
> associated with a NOTIFY message, which presumably would require a more
> involved (and difficult to manage) underlying structure to be created.

Huh?  First of all, the documentation says that NOTIFY does take an
argument.  Secondly, I tried it in two psql's and it appears to work.  I
now understand what the other talk was about, LISTEN is only checked once
after each query (correct?).

Now, as far as slow and ugly, remember that the query could always just be
something like  select 1;

-Cedar