Re: Argument variables for select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas Tille
Subject Re: Argument variables for select
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Yury Don wrote:

> Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> > Create Function VarSelect ( varchar, varchar )
> >    returns int
> >    As '
> >      Declare num int ;
> >
> >      Begin
> >        Select Into num Count(*) From $1 Where $2 ;
> >        return num;
> >      End ;
> >    ' language 'plpgsql' ;
> >
> AFAIK it's impossible with plpgsql, but it's possible in pltcl.
Hmmm, I wonder how many languages I will learn while dealing with
PostgreSQL.  What about performance of pltcl compared to C.
I wonder if I just do all my work using C-functions, because I
know C very well and don't want to reach the next limit which
I will possibly face when using pltcl.

I would really like to write all my functions in SQL or PLPGSQL.
If this is really impossible (I just wonder if the construct above
could really not be implemented???), I would prefer C over other
languages, if there are no real drawbacks.

Kind regards
        Andreas.