Re: Lessons learned on how to build 7.0.2 on AIX 4.x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Lessons learned on how to build 7.0.2 on AIX 4.x
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Richard Sand writes:

> 1) First of all, you can't use IBM's make utility, gotta use GNU make.

Quoth the installation instructions:

"Building PostgreSQL requires GNU make. It will not work with other make
programs."

> you have to use the command:
>
> ./configure --with-template=aix_gcc

That has got to be a bug. The configure script should look for gcc
first. Can you show the relevant lines of configure output (checking for
cc... etc), when you don't use that option?

> Making postgres.imp
>  ./backend/port/aix/mkldexport.sh postgres /usr/local/bin > postgres.imp nm: postgres: 0654-200 Cannot open the
specifiedfile.

>  nm: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
>
> This is apparently a bug in the make scripts for Postgres.

Can you describe how to fix it? The AIX shared library stuff is an enigma
to me.

> I hand edited the Makefile.global file in ./src and commented out the
> line "HAVE_Cplusplus=true"

Quoth configure --help:

"  --without-CXX           prevent building C++ code"

> Oh, and as the make output scrolled by, I see that it failed as well
> building some plpsql stuff, but it was non fatal.

If it failed then it was fatal, and vice versa. Please elaborate.

> There were also a zillion warnings, many of them about multiple type
> declarations for int8, int32, etc.

I'll make a note of it.

> installing the man pages, because it expected to use "zcat" to handle
> its .gz files, which AIX doesn't like.  So I had to change zcat to
> "/usr/local/bin/gunzip -c" in the ./src/Makefile.global (of course

Noted.