Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker writes:

> I've read, and re-read, this license since the first time I saw it ... I
> like the extension of the 'liability/warranty' sections to encompass "all
> developers" vs it just encompassing "University of Berkeley", and am
> shocked that we never thought of this before,

That's not true. I recall several separate occasions this was brought up
in the past. But anyway...

I support the spirit of your suggestion, but just a couple of ideas:

1) The copyright notice from the current developers should come first. It
should read something like:

"PostgreSQL ... Copyright 2000 whoever

Contains code from Postgres95, which is subject to the following
conditions:

Copyright 1996 UCB ..."

2) "various contributors (as identified in HISTORY)" -- Don't do that.
What if someone forks the project and renames HISTORY to
PASTPRESENTANDFUTURE? Use something like "all contributors". Also note
that the HISTORY file doesn't actually identify the contributors
sufficiently.

3) Use the same disclaimer that the UCB used, unless you have a good
reason to change the wording.

4) "BY USING THIS SOFTWARE YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.  IF
YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS
SOFTWARE." -- This is not enforceable. If you want to get at this point
(for which I see no reason), use something like GPL section 5.

5) There also should be a mention that some parts of the distribution may
be subject to other conditions, which are identified near that "part".