Re: index problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marcin Inkielman
Subject Re: index problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:15:42 +0800
> From: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh@mecomb.com>
> To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>, Marcin Inkielman <marn@wsisiz.edu.pl>
> Cc: postgres-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] index problem
>
> At 06:13 PM 01-06-2000 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >Marcin Inkielman <marn@wsisiz.edu.pl> writes:
> >> I created an index using pgaccess rescently. the name of the index was
> >> long:
> >> "oceny_stud_numer_albumu_protokoloceny_stud"
> >> now i am unable to vacuum my database.
> >
> >Oh dear :-( ... it seems that when you quote an identifier, the system
> >forgets to make sure that it's truncated to no more than 31 characters.
> >You've got a corrupted pg_class entry now for that index.
> >
> >> my question is:
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> how may i delete this index in my original database???
> >
> >Dropping the table that the index is on should work.  Hopefully
> >restoring just the one table is better than restoring your whole DB.
>
> If dropping the index is not possible, how about the good ol filesystem rm?
>
> I used to use that to deal with drop table; rollback;
>
> The table was there but not quite there ;). So I had to rm it.
>
> How about hexediting the relevant files. I did that once to fix an
> application which stored its code in an Oracle DB. The database wouldn't
> allow us to access the vendor's code even though we knew where the bug was,
> so I just stopped the database engine, backed up the 200MB database file,
> hexedited it and fixed it :).
>
> That's the sort of thing you sometimes have to do with closed source apps...
>
> Cheerio,
> Link.

I generaly avoid  to do things like this... i am not postgres code expert
and i think i risk to really corrupt my DB.

I solved my problem simplier:

drop index oceny_stud_numer_albumu_protokol_id;

and

drop index oceny_stud_numer_albumu_protokoloceny_stud;

failed....

so I used:

drop index "oceny_stud_numer_albumu_protokoloceny_stud";
and it worked for me 8-)))

--
mi