Re: [GENERAL] postgres libpq library - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [GENERAL] postgres libpq library
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1999-12-02, ^chewie mentioned:

> > > server. I was wondering if the library is instead thread safe (i.e.:
> > > if it can be safely called from multi-threaded applications).
> >
> > That's a definite no.
>
> You know.  I, for one, have a little bit of free time I could donate to
> contributing to the Postgresql project.  I know C and would not mind
> learning how to implement POSIX threading.  Like any project, it needs
> to start somewhere with someone.  I suppose I should join the [HACKERS]
> list, then, huh? ;-)

Although to my knowledge, there haven't been a lot of complaints regarding
the thread-safeness of libpq, you are sure welcome to try. Note that this
would (probably) not involve any thread programming though.

The main difficulty would seem to center around the fact that all network
transmission is done as strings and you need a bunch of different buffers
to convert those back and forth and a lot of care needs to be exercised
there. I'm personally not sure if it's worth it or even possible using the
current protocols.

If you do want to contribute, however, joining that hackers list and
reading the TODO list would be excellent starts. There is probably a lot
of stuff in libpq that could be taken care of anyway.

    -Peter