Re: [GENERAL] postgres libpq library - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ^chewie
Subject Re: [GENERAL] postgres libpq library
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > I guess that the postgres it-self is not designated as a multi-threaded
> > server. I was wondering if the library is instead thread safe (i.e.:
> > if it can be safely called from multi-threaded applications).
>
> That's a definite no.
>
> I'm not even sure if there is a chance of cleaning that up in finite
> time, after all many C libraries are not very thread-safe either.
>
> Perhaps this CORBA stuff that has been thrown around lately can help
> there, but that's merely in the proposal stage right now.

You know.  I, for one, have a little bit of free time I could donate to
contributing to the Postgresql project.  I know C and would not mind
learning how to implement POSIX threading.  Like any project, it needs
to start somewhere with someone.  I suppose I should join the [HACKERS]
list, then, huh? ;-)

^chewie <chewie@wookimus.net>