Re: copying table to a file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trurl McByte
Subject Re: copying table to a file
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 (Yesterday), Tyler Robert Wood wrote:

  TRW> Hi,
  TRW> I am attempting to copy the contents of a table to a file, like this:
  TRW>
  TRW> foodserver=> COPY company TO '/home/peter/copytest.out';
  TRW>
  TRW>
  TRW> But I keep getting this error:
  TRW>
  TRW> ERROR:  COPY command, running in backend with effective uid 100, could not
  TRW> open file '/home/peter/copytest.out' for writing.  Errno = Permission
  TRW> denied (13).
  TRW>
  TRW> Does anybody know how I can fix this so I have permission to open files?
Make allow access to '/home/peter' for user #100
Or better make in your home something like:

 $ cd /home/peter
 $ mkdir sql
 $ chmod 777 sql

and after this make

 foodserver=> COPY company TO '/home/peter/sql/copytest.out';

Attn: You can have "superuser" permission for work with files from sql!

Method #2:

 $ psql foodserver -c "COPY company TO stdout" -o /home/peter/copytest.out

This method don't need "superuser" permission...

--
      Trurl McByte, Capt. of StasisCruiser "Prince"
|InterNIC: AR3200                   RIPE: AR1627-RIPE|