Re: [SQL] Design Question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: [SQL] Design Question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Andy Lewis wrote:

> Lets say that I have a DB that I am using to save address info on
> different brokers. Broker name, address, city, state, zip
>
> Some brokers have representation in different states.
>
> How would I be able to save that info so that it can be later selected by
> users looking for a broker in a certain state(s)?
>
> What type of field/table/DB could I save that in for easy reference?

Andy,
 I suggest that you buy (or borrow from a library) a book on relational
data base design. To give you the simple answer to your question: have one
table for the broker's name and identification and a separate table for
their addresses. It's called a many-to-one structure and is created by
normalizing the data.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
                      Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)             Making environmentally-responsible mining
happen.(SM)                               --------------------------------           2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale,
OR97060-1247 | U.S.A.+ 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com