FreeBSD and libpq example not compiling - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Lars Strobor
Subject FreeBSD and libpq example not compiling
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
I just recently installed FreeBSD 3.3 on a machine and installed
PostgreSQL 6.5.2 from the ports collection. As a test I tried to compile
the libpq example number 1 from the postgreSQL web page, but it failed to
compile. The exact same program compiled just fine on my Redhat 6.1 linux
machine with the same command. Here is the command I used for the compile:

gcc test.c -o test -lpq

which gives me the error:

/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open -lpq: No such file or directory

Again I am running FreeBSD 3.3, PostgreSQL 6.5.2 from the Ports
collection, and gcc 2.7.2.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plese reply to me directly, as I am
not on the list yet.

Thanks,
-Lars