Re: [HACKERS] New psql startup banner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] New psql startup banner
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Oct 20, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> psql now shows new text on startup.  The old one just looked bad.
> Hope the psql upgrader can merge these changes in. I know we weren't
> supposed to touch psql, but I suspect he is not touching the banner.

Hah!

$ ./psql template1
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive query shell.
(Please type \copyright to see the distribution terms of PostgreSQL.)
PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by egcs
Type \h for help with SQL commands,    \? for help on internal slash commands,    \q to quit,    \g or terminate with
semicolonto execute query.

template1=> \copyright
memory clobbered before allocated blockAborted (core dumped)

Oops! :)

Okay, I guess the motivation behind this was the question "Where is that
damn COPYRIGHT file?", or maybe I've just been reading the appendix to the
GPL too often.

Anyway, I guess I'll let the balance of the suggestions apply.
-Peter