Re: [INTERFACES] Problem with PreparedStatement - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Mount
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Problem with PreparedStatement
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> At 19:05 +0200 on 18/10/1999, Esteban Chiner Sanz wrote:
>

> > I'm trying to do this:
> >
> > if (counter != -1) /* No ha habido ning�n error */
> >             {
> >                 PreparedStatement pstmt=null;
> >                 sql="insert into tar_historico values (?,?,?)";
> >                 razon="<br>Query: " + sql;
> >                 try {
> >                     pstmt = con.prepareStatement(sql);
> >                     pstmt.setString(1,Integer.toString(counter));
> >                     pstmt.setString(2,"1");
> >                     pstmt.setTimestamp(3,new Timestamp(new
> > java.util.Date().getTime()));
> >                     pstmt.executeUpdate(sql);
> >                     pstmt.close();
> >                     con.close();
> >                 }
> >
> > But I get this error message in the PostgreSQL log:
> >
> >    query: insert into tar_historico values (?,?,?)
> >    ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ","
>
> What are the (Postgres) datatypes of the fields?
>
> The best would be to know what the final format of the query became. For
> this you have to run the postmaster with -d2 or something, to create a
> debug-level log. It will show you the statements as they were passed to the
> backend.
>
> My personal suspicion is that your first two fields are numeric fields, not
> string fields.

My suspicion aswell. Most people forget that setString() wraps the string
in quotes when the query is sent to the backend.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf