Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Mount
Subject Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Yin-So Chen wrote:

[snip]

> I don't know how SP is implemented since none of the commercial RDBMS
> publishes their sources, but they've all claimed that SP saves parsing
> time and saves query plan time (it's generated once and stored).  Need
> some database experts to verify this point :)  And like you said, it's
> one of the most powerful tools available for database implementation.  I
> want the ability simply because of its conceptual abstraction, even if
> w/out any of the performance benefit.
>
> Come on, everybody, speak out your thought on this matter :)

Well, for me it would allow the current kludge that the JDBC driver uses
for PreparedStatement. Having SP would allow that class to temporarily
store the procedure, then only the data would need to be transfered to the
backend. This would improve the majority of JDBC useage enormously.

Peter

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk