Re: AW: [HACKERS] psql Week 1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] psql Week 1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Oct 6, Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 mentioned:

> > * when \connect fails, it now keeps the previous connection (formerly
> >   aborted program)
>
> This was the behavior at one time, but it was regarded as very dangerous
> and thus changed to the current behavior.
>
> The problem was, that scripts would do things to the wrong database if a
> connect failed.

See earlier response. Only in interactive mode. The idea was that a typo
should not bomb you out of the program.

> The ultimate solution would be an unconnected state, where only
> \connect or help commands would be accepted.

I had that idea, too, but that would open a whole new can of worms
code-wise. Can you guys out there comment if this feature would be
desirable?

--
Peter Eisentraut - peter_e@gmx.net
http://yi.org/peter-e/