RE: [GENERAL] newbe question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From microbe@chollian.net
Subject RE: [GENERAL] newbe question
Date
List pgsql-general
If postmaster is really running, su the user who running postmaster
(should not be root).
and run the following two commands.

$ initdb
$ createuser anyuser

According to your Linux distribution, initdb may have been performed.
(my RedHat 6.0 scripts for postgres in rc.d/ directory runs initdb.)
In this case you don't have to run initdb.

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Pider wrote:

> login as the root and at the linux prompt # type following
> =======example=======
> ps aux | grep postmaster
> =====================
>
> then You should get few lines containig one looking like that, notice the text  "postmaster" at the end of line:
> =====example===========
> postgres   345  0.0  2.9  3376   904  ?  S    12:31   0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -
> if not, then the backend server is not running - so it is not installed

Science is the game we play with God to find out what his rules are.
Doo Suk Yang
Research Scientist                              Voice: 82-42-866-2222
LG Chemical Ltd. Research Park
Biotech Research Institute I                    FAX:   82-42-861-2566
A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
(Proverbs 18:2)