Re: Problem in starting postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Ferguson
Subject Re: Problem in starting postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
you will have to create the user Amol in the database if you want to
connect to it using psql.

Otherwise you can connect using the user that you started the db system
normally postgres

then you do

psql -U postgres template1

From here you can create other dbs users etc, or you can go to the bin in
pgsql and use the fnctions there

Hope this helps

Darren

Darren Ferguson

On 9 Jan 2002, Nandu  Garg wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am new to pgsql and just now started with it. It is installed on our Linux Machine.
> I am referring an online Doc and doing things. Now I have following prblems at my level.
>
> when I issue following command at my prompt It gives me following error
> $psql
> Connection to database 'amol' failed.
> FATAL 1:  Database amol does not exist in pg_database
>
> When I issued following command
> $createdb mydb
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'amol' is not in 'pg_shadow'
>
> 'amol' is my actual user on linux. Now What can be the problem.. Also let me know what are the starting command on
Linuxfor pgsql.