Error reporting when hitting shared memory limits - - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pete Leonard
Subject Error reporting when hitting shared memory limits -
Date
Re: Error reporting when hitting shared memory limits -  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hey folks,

Quick note - in re-compiling the kernel of the box we run Postgres on
(running FreeBSD 3.4), we goofed - SHMMAX was increased, but SHMALL was
not.

If you start up Postgres (7.1.2) and specify a number of buffers greater
than what SHMMAX can provide, you get a nice, useful error message,
detailing what's wrong, and with suggestions on how to fix it.

If you start up Postgres and specify a number of buffers that falls within
the limits of SHMMAX, but exceeds SHMALL, you get an error message like
this:

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=29868032, 03600) failed: Cannot allocate memory

Needless to say, we were a little stumped at first.  :)

Would it be too much to ask for a failure message along the lines of what
exceeding SHMMAX provides?

    thanks,

    --peter