Re: sick DB - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pete Leonard
Subject Re: sick DB - ??
Date
Re: Re: sick DB - ??  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Followup ^2 -

The reason this happened was that for whatever reason (we're still
investigating), /tmp was writeable only by root.

I only noticed this when using initdb to create a new data directory.

postmaster offered no suggestion that there was a problem here, even when
running at -d5.

chmod 777 /tmp fixed everything.

my best guess (I don't know how postmaster is operating, I didn't run any
of the system-level diagnostic tools to check) is that if postmaster fails
on opening a pipe/tmpfile, rather than check the error properly, it
changes the filename and tries again ad infinitum?  Perhaps printing some
error code (especially at debug level 5) would help?

thanks,

    --pete