Re: Fwd: Re: Shared memory for RH Linux 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael J Schout
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: Shared memory for RH Linux 7.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 24 May 2001, Ryan Mahoney wrote:

> >This is true.  You can adjust the value in the /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> >file.  If you change the value it will be reset when you reboot, so you
> >will need to write a start-up script to always change this value if you
> >want it to be permanent.

or you can let sysctl do it with this in /etc/sysctl.conf:

kernel.shmmax = 268435456

(obviously changing the value with what is appropriate for your machine).

This is for a RH 6.2 box.  DOnt know if its the same on 7.1.  We switched to
FreeBSD between redhat 6.2 and 7.0, so we dont have any RH7.1 boxes laying
around.  I suspect it hasn't changed though.

Mike