Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martin A. Marques
Subject Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Jaruwan Laongmal wrote:

> I had deleted a very large number of records out of my SQL table in order to
> decrease the harddisk space.  But after I use command 'ls -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/', it is found that the size of concerning files
> do not reduce due to the effect of 'delete' SQL command.  What should I do
> if I would like to decrease the harddisk space?

Postgres will only mark them as deleted, but the rows will stay in the
DB.
Do a vacuum on the database and the deleted rows will be eliminated.

Saludos... ;-)

System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar