duplicate key ? (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sungchul Park
Subject duplicate key ? (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-general
I didn't get any answer about my question posted yesterday.
please share your knowledge and wisdom with me, a poor s/w engineer.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:30:27 +0900 (KST)
From: Sungchul Park <scpark@gen128.com>
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] duplicate key ?

Please check following...

Fo2Me=# drop table dirinfo;
DROP
Fo2Me=# CREATE TABLE dirinfo(
Fo2Me(#         code            VARCHAR(8) PRIMARY KEY,
Fo2Me(#         level           SMALLINT NOT NULL,
Fo2Me(#         name            TEXT NOT NULL,
Fo2Me(#         count           SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
Fo2Me(# );
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'dirinfo_pkey'
for table 'dirinfo'
CREATE
Fo2Me=# INSERT INTO dirinfo (code, level, name) VALUES('hbcol', 1, 'abc');
INSERT 63411 1
Fo2Me=# INSERT INTO dirinfo (code, level, name) VALUES('hbcrf', 1, 'zzz');
ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index dirinfo_pkey

I couldn't understand this error message. What's wrong?

The version of postgresql is 7.0.2 and the database created with EUC_KR encoding.

------
Park, Sungchul / mailto:scpark@gen128.com
gen128, inc. - The internet company powered by open source.
http://www.gen128.com / Voice : +82-2-3017-0128 / Fax : +82-2-3017-1128
238-9 poi kangnam, #601 poongjoen bldg., Seoul 135-250, Republic of Korea