Authentication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tressens Lionel
Subject Authentication
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Currently, I authenticate the users connecting to my database with a login
and a password.
But I would also like to add authentication based on identd.
I want that a user whose login is 'john' to be first identified by identd
daemon and then asked for password corresponding to 'john' in pg_passwd or
a flat password file. (i.e. I want to disable any attempt of login faking)

Another problem :
If I store a passwd for a user in a flat password file, and configure
pg_hba.conf like this :
host    zzz.yyy.xxx.0   255.255.255.0   password myfile
it works...

but if I store passwords in pg_passwd, and change pg_hba.conf line to :
host   zzz.yyy.xxx.0    255.255.255.0   password
or
host   zzz.yyy.xxx.0    255.255.255.0   crypt

it doesn't work... why ?
How has password to be stored in pg_passwd ? clear or DES cyphered ? (I
store it DES cyphered)

Thanks in advance,

Lionel