Re: 4 billion record limit? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin A. Marques
Subject Re: 4 billion record limit?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > FWIW, I checked into MySQL, and as far as I can tell, they have nothing
> > like this implicit 4 billion transactional "limit".  So maybe competitive
> > spirit will drive the postgres hackers to fix this problem sooner than
> > later.  ;-)
>
> We have *never* had a report of someone pushing this 4GB limit, and
> theoretical problems usually go into the long-term development plan, not
> in the "OHMYGODITSBROKEN" list.

I'm not sure about MySQL not haveing the 4 Billion limit. As far as I
know, Informix has (in it's 7.x versions) the 4 billion limit with the
INTEGERS.
Informix 9.x has added other data types, like an 8 byte INTEGER.
Working on 64bit Solaris, but don't know which is the real limit.
Maybe some day I'm make a small program to see if I can fill the column.
;-)

Saludos... ;-)

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar