Re: puzzled by the docs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl F. Larsen
Subject Re: puzzled by the docs
Date
List pgsql-general
    I suggest you not worry too much about versions when using the
on-line docs. The doc's are ALWAYS for an earlier version. But they work
fine on a later version. Nothing much has changed from SQL92 which is 8
years old now.

    If you learn to write good code with SQL92 it will run fine on
postgres AND other database.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Hernan Gonzalez wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Hernan Gonzalez <hgonzal@sinectis.com.ar> writes:
> > > The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide which appears on the web
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/index.html
> > > is fairly different from the one which is packed with
> > > the 7.0.2 distribution.
> >
> > > Which is the good one?
> >
> > The files appearing under http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ are a
> > snapshot of current development, not the docs that go with the
> > most recent release.  Any changes you see are work that will be
> > in the next major release (ie, 7.1).
> >
> > We have been planning to rearrange the website so that the main
> > docs page shows the most recent release, and the development
> > snapshot appears someplace else, but I guess Vince hasn't got
> > round to it yet ...
> >
> >                         regards, tom lane
>
> Ok.
> It would be nice, I think, if the docs specify (in the heading)
> to which version they correspond...
>
> Anyway, the 7.0.2 docs state (in the "pg_options" section)
> that :
>
> >   Message printed to stdout or stderr are prefixed by a timestamp containing also the backend pid
> >
> >  #timestamp          #pid    #message
> >   980127.17:52:14.173 [29271] StartTransactionCommand
> >   980127.17:52:14.174 [29271] ProcessUtility: dro
> >   This format improves readability of the logs and allows people to understand exactly which backend is
> >   doing what and at which time. It also makes easier to write simple awk or perl scripts which monitor the
> >   log to detect database errors or problem, or to compute transaction time statistics.
>
> It is very true that this format is useful, but that's not what I get.
> My 7.0.2 postmaster is started with stdout & stderr redirected to a file,
> and I get no timestamps no pids.
>
> My .../data/pg_options file contains two lines:
>
>    verbose=1
>    query
>
> Am I doing something wrong ?
>
> Thanks!