Re: Outer join in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Vazsonyi
Subject Re: Outer join in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Patrick Kay wrote:

> I am looking for a way run an outer join in psql.  Can anyone help?
>
> Informix has an "OUTER" keyword.  I don't see anything like this in the docs
> for psql.
>
> Thanks much.
> -Pat Kay

Hmmm... I don't now the exact definition of outer join.
I feel it may somethink like this:

SELECT * FROM a WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT id FROM b WHERE b.id=a.id);

This works in postgresql, but doesn't use indices ;(
I mean this runs an sequencial scan on a, and many index scan on b.
The result may be done with a special hash-join, but not in current
versions.
I have a strange sens, in 7.1 it will be... regards
--nek;(