RE: [GENERAL] scheduling table design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject RE: [GENERAL] scheduling table design
Date
List pgsql-general
it make sense. as an intermediate step, perhaps could be used for
internal (doctor-doctor, nurse-doctor,...) "distributed" use,
besides the "call-center-like" use.

the table disign should be easy. scheduling itself can be just
one or two (if support complicated feature) tables. So, just
use your common sense (unless you really like it, no need for
formal data modeling). A dirty way to do it (and this project
is a very good one being dirty ;-) is put everything in one table!
then, if you feel too filthy, consider split it into two (ok,
that is modeling). You can ask help by showing the prototype
design and your concerns.

Also, there is some OSS schedular/time sheet there if you like
to surf. Somebody (like me ;-) may have done the schedular but
not authorized to publish them here. By put your prototype here,
people can help freely.

Some thing you really need to pay attention are:
make sure use datetime and timespan datatype. do not use date or anthing else.
also, be sure use serial type (or use a standard technique that do
not use sequence or serial feature of the database -- so that the app
can be portable among different dbms. But seems that it's not very often
used and I do not really understand it. you can search the archive of
this list. it's called hi-lo algorithm ;-)