Re: [GENERAL] can't seem to use index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aaron Holtz
Subject Re: [GENERAL] can't seem to use index
Date
List pgsql-general
I believe that vacuuming the database will help the system determine
whether a sequential scan or an index scan is more efficient.  It's much
faster for the db to scan sequentially when only a few records exist in
the db.  Copy in a chunk of data, vacuum and then rerun your explain.
Sometimes I've had to \q and reconnect to the db to get it to use the
index on an explain, but that could just be coincidence.

Aaron Holtz
ComNet Inc.
UNIX Systems Administration/Network Operations
"It's not broken, it just lacks duct tape."

On Jan 9, admin molded the electrons to say....