Minor pg_dump buglet - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From gjerde@icebox.org
Subject Minor pg_dump buglet
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey,
Found a little "bug" in pg_dump today.
[snip]
--  finding the attribute names and types for each table
--  finding the attrs and types for table: 'members'
--  finding the attrs and types for table: 'currentuser'
--  finding DEFAULT expression for attr: 'id'
--  finding the attrs and types for table: 'memberaccess'
--  finding DEFAULT expression for attr: 'id'
--  flagging inherited attributes in subtables
--  dumping out user-defined types
--  dumping out tables
--  dumping out user-defined procedural languages
--  dumping out user-defined functions
--  dumping out user-defined aggregates
--  dumping out user-defined operators
--  dumping out the contents of all of 5 tables
--  dumping out the contents of Table 'members'
--  dumping out the contents of Table 'currentuser'
--  dumping out the contents of Table 'memberaccess'
| postgres         | currentuser                      | table    || postgres         | currentuser_id_seq
|sequence || postgres         | memberaccess                     | table    || postgres         | memberaccess_id_seq
          | sequence || postgres         | members                          | table    |

As you can see, it says it's dumping out 5 tables, while there is only 3
real tables.  I guess it's also counting the 2 sequences as tables(or
tuples in this case).  This might be right(sequences being tuples), but in
this case they should in my opinion not be counted..

Also, in getTables() in pg_dump.c there are at least a couple of these:       if (!res ||
PQresultStatus(res)!= PGRES_COMMAND_OK)       {               fprintf(stderr, "BEGIN command failed\n");
exit_nicely(g_conn);      }

Shouldn't this be more like       if (!res ||               PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK)       {
  fprintf(stderr, "BEGIN command failed(%s)\n", PGresultErrorMessage(res));               exit_nicely(g_conn);       }

or       if (!res)       {               fprintf(stderr, "BEGIN command failed\n");               exit_nicely(g_conn);
    } else if(PGresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK) {               fprintf(stderr, "BEGIN command failed.  ERROR:
%s\n",PGresultErrorMessage(res));               exit_nicely(g_conn);       }

Thanks,
Ole Gjerde