Some questions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vladimir Litovka
Subject Some questions
Date
Re: [SQL] Some questions  (Herouth Maoz <herouth@oumail.openu.ac.il>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello!

 There is table of character types in manual, where the 'text' type suggested
 as the best choice. 'text' is variable length type and I think, that
 fixed length's types (such as char(n)) will be faster, than variable
 length's ones? Am I wrong?

 The second question is more complex :) It about CREATE TABLE statement. Is
 there difference between following statements?

  create table aaa (i int2 UNIQUE);
 and
  create table aaa (i int2, CONSTRAINT aaa_i_key UNIQUE(i));

 First case uses 'column constraint' and second - 'table constraint'. Manual
 says: "A column constraint is an integrity constraint defined as part of a
 column definition, and logically becomes a table constraint as soon as it
 is created". Am I understand correctly - it is never mind where to define
 (any) constraints - all of them does the same?

 And last: what does it mean the following statement in the CREATE TABLE?

  len INTERVAL HOUR TO MINUTE

 Thank you :)

---
Vladimir Litovka <doka@webest.com>