Re: [GENERAL] Maximum Records - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Maximum Records
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 26 May 1999, Dannie M Stanley wrote:

> I am currently considering using PostgreSQL to facilitate a large database.
> I need to know if there is a maximum number of records.  Or if there is a
> point at which the performance is severely cut.  The database that I need to
> implement will start at around 30,000 records.  If anyone could point me to
> performance comparisons or documentation on such information I would
> appreciate it.

You should have no problems.  I have a database with 7 or 8 tables, most
of which have over a million rows.  One table has over 2 million rows.
Performance is pretty good, especially if you index things properly.  I
have a web interface to this data, via PHP3, and it takes only a few
minutes to run the queries form the web page and generate statistical
data.  It's only running under Linux on a PPro 200, with 128 megs of RAM.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
Dinner suggestion #302 (Hacker's De-lite):
    1 tin imported Brisling sardines in tomato sauce
    1 pouch Chocolate Malt Carnation Instant Breakfast
    1 carton milk