Misleading Error Message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kristofer Munn
Subject Misleading Error Message
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Misleading Error Message  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all.  Was working tonight and ran into the following error.  Doing a
union between two selects (to get around the lack of outer joins - hint
hint), I was getting the error:
       ERROR: Each UNION clause must have the same number of columns

Upon examining the SQL statement in question, I verified that it did,
indeed, have the same number of columns.  After some fiddling, I found the
actual problem was that I was doing an ORDER BY on a column which was not
being included in the two select statements.  Unfortunately, the error
message wasn't pointing at that.

I'm not sure if this is just a simple change or implies other problems
with the parser but I thought I'd toss it out onto the pile.

Cya...

- K

Kristofer Munn * http://www.munn.com/~kmunn/ * ICQ# 352499 * AIM: KrMunn