Re: [HACKERS] Re: SIGBUS in AllocSetAlloc & jdbc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: SIGBUS in AllocSetAlloc & jdbc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[ I'm cc'ing this to java-linux as this seems to be a problem with the
Linux PPC port - peter ]

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

[snip]

> This morning I started to look into this. First, JDBC driver coming
> with 6.5b did not compile. The reason was my JDK (JDK 1.1.7 v1 on
> LinuxPPC) returns version string as "root:10/14/98-13:50" and
> makeVersion expected it started with "1.1". This was easy to fix. So I
> went on and tried the ImageViewer sample. It gave me SQL an exception:

[snip]

> P.S.  Peter, do you have any suggestion to make JDBC driver under JDK
> 1.1.7?

Ah, the first problem I've seen with the JVM version detection. the
postgresql.Driver class does the same thing as makeVersion, and checks the
version string, and when it sees that it starts with 1.1 it sets the base
package to postgresql.j1 otherwise it sets it to postgresql.j2.

The exceptions you are seeing is the JVM complaining it cannot find the
JDK1.2 classes.

As how to fix this, this is tricky. It seems that the version string isn't
that helpful. The JDK documentation says it returns the version of the
JVM, but there seems to be no set format for this. ie, with your version,
it seems to give a date and time that VM was built.

Java-Linux: Is there a way to ensure that the version string is similar to
the ones that Sun produces? At least having the JVM version first, then
reform after that?

The PostgreSQL JDBC driver is developed and tested under Linux (intel)
using 1.1.6 and 1.2b1 JVM's (both blackdown). I use Sun's Win32 1.2 JVM
for testing. The current driver works fine on all three JVM's, so it seems
to be the PPC port that has this problem.

Peter

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf