Re: [HACKERS] RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Todd Graham Lewis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> We have a major improvement in table locking for concurrent access
> coming in the next release (v6.5) which we expect will offer significant
> improvements in speed in a multi-client environment.

I'd like to jump in here with two comments:

1) Yay for fine-grained locking!

2) Will PostgreSQL _ever_ have support for foreign keys?  That is the
single biggest gripe around here at MindSpring.  Lots of people use psql
and love it, myself included, but the lack of support for foreign keys
is so annoying that it boggles the mind.  I know that you can simulate
the behaviour using triggers, and so the question comes, why can't
someone just hack the command syntax to translate the "foreign keys"
directive into the appropriate trigger insertion?  This has been on the
TODO list for as long as I have been watching PostgreSQL, and at this
point I despair that it will ever get done.  I would be happier if the
README just said "PostgreSQL does not and will never support the SQL
'FOREIGN KEYS' directive."

This is intended to be user feedback, not whiny complaining.  I'm very
happy with what PostgreSQL gives me.  Thanks for the good work.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIXa popular platform on PCs.  It's almost too
latenow."  -- Steve Balmer

"It is too late."   -- Bill Gates             _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82