Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - User Authentication Failed - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - User Authentication Failed
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Matthew wrote:

> Hello, I think I am doing something stupid here so hopefully there is a
> simple answer.
>
> I just installed RedHat5.2 on a new PC.  It works fine.  I installed all
> the PosgreSQL packages.  I performed a createuser so that my account can
> access psql.  That worked, I was able to create a new database 'foo' and
> connect to it with psql.  I tried from pgaccess and it failed asking if
> the -i option was used.  I fixed that, and now I can connect to my
> database from pgaccess.  I then went to Windows PC, and tried to connect
> using ODBC and the postdrv 6.4.001.  It fails with an error of 'User
> Authentication Failed' and that's it.  I have tried granting permissions
> and such but nothing seems to make it work.  Is there something that I'm
> missing in the setup, or some reason my Windows PC can't connect?

You'll need to enter either the Windows PC's TCP/IP address (or a subnet
containing that PC) into the pg_hba.conf file located in the PG_DATA
directory. I think RedHat put's that in the /var/lib/pgsql directory (from
memory, a RH5.2 box at work has it there).

Something like:

host all 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 password

should do the trick.

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk