New to PostgreSQL, is this a DoS? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Dax Kelson
Subject New to PostgreSQL, is this a DoS?
Date
Permissions/security on pg_* tables?  (Dax Kelson <dkelson-list-pgsql-admin@inconnect.com>)
List pgsql-admin
I compiled and install 6.4 according to the INSTALL doc.

I created a database with "createdb test",

running as user "postgres", I connected "psql template1" and ran:

CREATE USER billybob WITH PASSWORD hehe CREATEDB CREATEUSER;

I then modified pg_hba.conf by adding:

host    all     10.0.0.2   255.255.255.255 crypt

I then killed and restarted postmaster with "-i".

From the remote machine "10.0.0.2" I connected to the database "test" as
user "billybob" and that worked.

However, I had problems trying to create a table.

From that remote machine, I ran:

CREATE TABLE weather (
city            varchar(80),
temp_lo         int,
temp_hi         int,
prcp            real,
date            date
);

And it supposedly "worked", it said "CREATE".  However, running

\d returned

Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

Then from the machine actually running PostgreSQL, as user "postgres" I
connected to "test"

\d returned

Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

So I tried running the CREATE TABLE weather command again, but it
returned:

ERROR:  weather relation already exists

but,

\d returned

Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

From remotely as "billybob" or localy as "postgres" I could succesfully
drop this phantom table.

Is this a denial of service?  A remote user can connect and create as many
phantom tables as they want which could possibly interfere with normal
operation?  How would the admin even know the name of the table to drop?

If I connect locally as user "postgres" and I can successfully create and
see the table.

Is it normal behaviour that user "postgres" must first create the tables
for them to be useable?

Thanks,
Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.