Re: [GENERAL] New FAQ item - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Howie
Subject Re: [GENERAL] New FAQ item
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > id rephrase this to include 'inserts/updates' -- 6.5 is comparable to
> > mysql for selects, given the proper indexes.
>
> Is this tested, or do you just hope so?

tested against a 500,000 row table.  pgsql seems to excell when that table
gains rows left and right, most likely due to the locking: when doing a
massive number of inserts from different processes along with a rather
large select, mysql had the tendency to crash ( client app lost connection
).  postgres will slow down a little, but all the data eventually gets
into the table.

> > id also stress that postgres supports (fully?) SQL92, triggers,
>
> I believe there's still some way to go before SQL92 is fully supported.
>
> Isn't outer joins, views with unions and more part of SQL92?

hence the '(fully?)' bit.  id have to look into the sql92 spec to see
what's not implemented (yet) in postgres... im fairly positive somebody
can answer this off the top of their head, however.

> Now I am at trying to be annoying, how good is the ODBC / JDBC in
> PostgreSQL? Can it measure up with MySQL? With Oracle?

try it and find out :)  id like to know, but dont have any MS-Windows
machines here.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."