Re: [GENERAL] bug in 6.4.2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Howie
Subject Re: [GENERAL] bug in 6.4.2?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > i was recently importing a fairly large amount of data from a mysql to
> > postgres ( 6.4.2 ).  to make a long story short, this involved some
> > renames ( alter table foo rename to bar ).  two psql clients were running,
> > accessing the same database and, in some cases, querying on the same
> > table.  when one tried to insert into one of the recently
> > dropped-and-renamed tables, it produced an error saying that an attribute
> > didnt exist for <old table's OID>.  a restart of that app fixed it.
> >
> > fyi, the error was "get_attisset: no attribute requests in relation
> > 902432" while doing an insert.  a select statement just returned 0 rows,
> > even though there were 1 or 2 matching the query ( verified in the psql
> > window i was working in, doing the renames ).
> >
> > is this a known problem ?  do the clients cache OIDs or some such ?  is
> > there anything i can do, apart from the obvious ( heh ), to make sure
> > this doesnt happen again ?
>
> In 6.4.*, table renaming was not properly flushing the cache, I think.
> Should work fine when 6.5 is released.

i had figured the client was caching OIDs.  _really_ looking forward to
6.5, keep up the great work!

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"Do a little dance, make a little code, compile tonight... compile tonight."