Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading from 6.3->6.4.2/6.5b1 possible - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Maxwell
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading from 6.3->6.4.2/6.5b1 possible
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading from 6.3->6.4.2/6.5b1 possible  (Kevin Heflin <kheflin@shreve.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 30 May 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>   >
>   >AHH! The pgsql v6.3 backend has begun crashing horribly on me since I've
>   >added a few more database backed webpages (with messages like 'backend
>   >cache invalidation...').. I figured that upgrading to 6.4.2 would solve my
>   >problems.. But I can't upgrade! Things I've tried:
>   >
>   >* Using old pg_dumpall -z > file and psql -e template1 < file (after
>   >  install and initdb)
>   >* Using the pg_dumpall from the new version.
>   >* Using pg_upgrade
>   >* Rereading the docs dozens of times
>   >* having a friend try it.
>   >* all of the above with both 6.4.2 and 6.5beta
>   >
>   >Every time I start loading, it chokes up on the dump output and falls into
>   >a constant stream of parse errors and messages like "PQsendQuery() --
>   >query is too long.  Maximum length is 8191"
>   >
>   >Argh!!! I've got websites constantly crashing and coustomers ready to
>   >revolt, what can I do???
>
> edit the dump file; change every line to an insert command.  Run that
> so that you can see what it is objecting to.
>
> 6.3's dump did not cover everything, so you are likely to have to edit the
> dump file to make it reloadable.

Is there a better way, perhaps even a perl script? My dump is quite large
(~1 million rows?) and manual editing is right out. If I'm going to go
through that kind of labor I'll probably switch to MySQL (which has a
larger web userbase, even though I prefer postgres for it's
completeness)..

Argh.. Are you aware of any patches to v6.3 that might improve my
stability without breaking compatibility?

Thanks