Re: [ADMIN] pgsql.sh - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Matthew Hixson
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pgsql.sh
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Jonah Kuo wrote:

> > -S -o -F 2>&1 > /usr/local/pgsql/errlog' &
>
> It still doesn't help,  I have bash installed in /usr/local/bin, then
> I modified the first line to #!/usr/local/bin/bash, amd modified
> the line you wrote above, then try again, then result in same.
>
> I simply test it to see if it works as do the following, login as postgres
> and enter interactive monitor,
>
> postgres=> ls;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "ls"
>
> The same ERROR message appears on the console, and errlog size is
> still 0.

I think this might be part of the problem:  from 'man postmaster'

" -S Specifies that the postmaster process should start up in silent mode.
That is, it will
            disassociate from the user's (controlling) tty and start its
own process group.  This
            should not be used in combination with debugging options
because any messages printed
            to standard output and standard error are discarded."

Another problem could be that the -o option means that the rest of the
line should be sent to the backend as commandline arguments, so it might
not be grabbing the ouput from postmaster at all.
  Here's my startup script:

echo "postmaster -B 256 >/home/postgres/pm.log 2>&1 &" | su - postgres

This is on my Slackware system.

  -M@

--
Matthew Hixson - CIO              Linux, n;
FroZenWave Communications           the nouveau postmodern operating