Re: [GENERAL] Simple question.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Hixson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Simple question....
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Summer wrote:

> I have a table with a couple of varchar columns that needs to have all it
> values all capitalized.
>
> SO this :
>
>       id|last_name|first_m  |login_id|sex
>     ----+---------+---------+--------+---
>     1231|Reid     |Samuel R.|sreid   |M
>
> would become :
>
>       id|last_name|first_m  |login_id|sex
>     ----+---------+---------+--------+---
>     1231|REID     |SAMUEL R.|sreid   |M
>
> This way when I bring them up alphabetically - it will be correct.
> I remember seeing this on the list a couple of months ago but I cannot
> remember the fix...

I think what you want is something like this:

select *,upper(last_name) as last,upper(first_m) as first from <table>
order by last, first;

This will make your output look like this:

         id|last_name|first_m  |login_id|sex|last|first
       1231|Reid     |Samuel R.|sreid   |M  |REID|SAMUEL R.

If you're using this select within another program then you don't have to
display the 'last' and 'first' columns to the end user.  Just use it
internally to order the rows.
  -M@

--
Matthew Hixson - CIO              Linux, n;
FroZenWave Communications           the nouveau postmodern operating