Re: JDBC date problem - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: JDBC date problem
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On 16 Oct 1998, Aleksey Demakov wrote:

> Can you believe me?
>
> I have a table with a column which is to store the dates each row was
> created. I fill it with the line:
>
>     insert_stmt.setDate(2, new Date (System.currentTimeMillis ()));
>
> And every day I insert a new row I can see that I did it tomorrow!
>
> I have found that in the method PreparedStatement.setDate() the date
> argument is intentionally incremented by one. The comments there say
> that it's to compensate broken SimpleDateFormat. Apparently, my
> SimpleDateFormat is ok (JDK 1.1.7 for win95/nt and jdk1.1.5 for freebsd).

Yep. Prior to JDK 1.1.6, setDate() had a bug, where it stored the date 1
day earlier than it really was. I tested both Linux & Win95/nt jdk's, and
this seemed consistent.

About 1 1/2 months ago, I found that 1.1.6 fixed it, so I removed the
increment from the source.

The V6.4 beta driver effectively only works for 1.1.6 or later JDK for the
setDate() method.

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk