Re: [HACKERS] SPI procedure for removing large objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SPI procedure for removing large objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I have just finished up some other stuff in the backend, and I was
> wondering what to do next.   My personal list include a cleanup of the lo
> type.  Specifically:
>
>     1.  Assign a fixed OID to the LO type so that attributes of this type
> can easily be identified.
>
>     2.  Write a VACUUM  LO procedure.
>
>     3.  Extend/verify the existing internal lo functions to work with the
> new type.
>
> I know that more can/should be done in this area, but I only have so much
> time.  I am aware the you have done some work on this in the contrib area.
> Were you planning on handling any (or all) of these issues as part of the
> 6.4 base release?   I will gladly move on to something else.

I claimed the parts of the TODO list that deal with these issues a few
weeks ago. Since then, I've tried several solutions (the one in contrib
was an attempt that uses triggers. It works but has holes - like DROP
TABLE doesnt fire a trigger).

The method I think is best is the vacuum procedure. Now, I have here the
basic outline for it, and how it interacts with the existing system using
oid's, but currently I can't test it as postgresql is still broken (for
me).

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk