Re: [SQL] cast text as date - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jose' Soares Da Silva
Subject Re: [SQL] cast text as date
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Richard Lynch wrote:

> >At 11:14 +0300 on 16/6/98, Richard Lynch wrote:
> >

> >> I've never created a function of my own, and maybe that's the way to go,
> >> but I'm not sure where to start...
> >> The strings in question actually only have a month/year (no date), if that
> >> matters (they're expirations)...
> >> The resulting date can just default to 1 for the date.
> >
> >What version of Postgres, and what error, exactly, did it report?
>
> ERROR:  function date(text) does not exist

Is possible convert a DATETIME into:

                    abstime
            date
            text
                time

prova=> \d tab

Table    = tab
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|          Field               |              Type                | Length|
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| b                            | datetime                         |     8 |
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

prova=> select cast(b as text) from tab;
text
----------------------
1998-12-12 00:00:00+01
(1 row)

prova=> select cast(b as date) from tab;
date
----------
1998-12-12
(1 row)

prova=> select cast(b as time) from tab;
time
--------
00:00:00
(1 row)
prova=> select cast(b as abstime) from tab;
abstime
----------------------
1998-12-12 00:00:00+01
(1 row)

> I don't know what version because my ISP installed it, and there seems to
> be no file I can read that tells me, and postmaster -v isn't defined.
>
> There are two postgresql directories.  One is labeled 6.2.1
> The other is just pgsql.
>
> The ISP changed psql very recently to require me to use -u and an login
> name and password, when they moved their software to a shiny new box, and
> (I think) upgraded postgresql, if that is any help at all in identifying
> the version.

                                           Jose'