TRIGGERS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jose' Soares Da Silva
Subject TRIGGERS
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, all!

I am trying to create a trigger to update a field on a "son" table
when a linked field (foreign key) is modified on a table "father".
example:

table son:                   table father:
---------------------        ------------------------
id                   /-----< id
description         /        name
son_id  <----------/         address
...                          ...
---------------------        ------------------------

I see there's a check_foreign_key() function doing the following:

CASCADE  - to delete corresponding foreign key,
RESTRICT - to abort transaction if foreign keys exist,
SETNULL  - to set foreign key referencing primary/unique key
           being deleted to null)

I need to implement a MODIFY clause to set 'son.son_id' equal to 'father.id'
when 'father.id' is updated.

I'm not a C-programmer, then I created a SQL function, but seems that
TRIGGER doesn't recognize SQL functions.
Am I right ?
                                               Thanks, Jose'