locale support - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Hans Petter Fasteng
Subject locale support
Date
List pgsql-admin
I know that this surtanlly has bean asked and maybe it should be in a
diffirent list too.  but anywhay,  I have set up a postgres 6.3.2 system
for users on the network I am admin on, since we are in Norway norwegian
sorting is a must to my users.  I have compiled with enambe-locale and
installed locale I have tested the local installation with a little date
program and the date is coming out in Norwegian format with the name of
the day in Norwegian.  But I can not make postgres to sort norwegian
letters.  I have scanned the FAQ and searched the postgres site, and found
a lot of messages adressing locale, but non that fits into my probelm.

  I hope to help my users sort correctly, do I have to tell pgsql not only
to use order by but also give a speshal character to enable sorting in
the way the locale setup spesifyes?  My locale setup is:

LANG=no_NO
LC_CTYPE=no_NO
LC_COLLATE=no_NO
LC_DATE=no_NO

I have tried to put ISO-8859-1 in the LC_CTYPE with no success, I am
testing this by etring the locale vars into postgres users .profile
and starting postmaster from the shell after I have loged in, so that I
should be shure that postmaster can see my envirment vars.

  Plase give me some assistance I have also red the lines in the
documentation shipped with postgres.

-hans