connection error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From sferac@bo.nettuno.it
Subject connection error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > There's an error while inserting data into a column defined as VARCHAR without
> > length in PostgreSQL 6.3.
> > Take a look:
> >
> > postgres=>  CREATE TABLE prova ( uno VARCHAR(10) );
> > CREATE
> > postgres=> INSERT INTO prova VALUES ( 'OK' );
> > INSERT 153042 1
> >
> > postgres=>  CREATE TABLE prova2 ( uno VARCHAR );
> > CREATE
> > postgres=> INSERT INTO prova2 VALUES ( 'NOT OK' );
> > PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel before responding.
> >         This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.
>
> Jose, please post problem reports to hackers, not to questions, on not-yet-released versions. I've moved
> this to hackers.
Ok, sorry.

> btw, I saw this too but in a different context and wasn't certain if it was a new problem:
>
> postgres=> select char_length('hi'::text);
> length
> ------
>      2
> (1 row)

I've another problem about connection
when I try to connect to PostgreSQL using:
           psql postgres -h server
I have this error:

Connection to database 'postgres' failed.
User authentication failed

I'd ran postmaster with -i as:

postmaster -i -o -F -B 512 -S > server.log 2>&1

Any idea?
                      Thanks, Jose'