Re: Include files for SPI are not installed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Include files for SPI are not installed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Karel Zak wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > > Certain include files are installed by src/include/Makefile and by
> > > interfaces/libpq++/Makefile.  However, they in turn include others that
> > > are not installed, thus obviating the usefulness of the ones that are.
>
> >  In your module you can use arbitrary routines from PG not only SPI,
> > for example you trigger needs work with some datetypes and for this
> > needs include anything from include/utils/ ... It expect install *all*
> > header files.  Not is better download PG sources and use -I option for
> > your gcc?
>
> No.  Full tree takes at minimum 36MB -- even pulling the _entire_
> src/include tree over is only 2MB.
Agree, *all* in src/include is good idea, but current /usr/include is
away from this. Oliver's idea was include needful SPI stuff only.
Before 1.5 years I wrote first trigger for PG and first thing I found
that  /usr/include is not usable for me.

> >  I expect header files on /usr/include/pgsql for client programming not
> > for SPI.
>
> Why?  I know of several people doing SPI work with no source tree
> installed.
Hmm, it must be very limited outlook without source tree:-)
    Karel