Re: Using Threads? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Using Threads?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Junfeng Zhang wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to postgreSQL. When I read the documents, I find out the Postmaster
> daemon actual spawns a new backend server process to serve a new client
> request. Why not use threads instead? Is that just for a historical reason,
> or some performance/implementation concern?
It's a little a historical reason, but not only. The PostgreSQL allowsto use user defined modules (functions), it means
thatbad module orbug in core code crash one backend only, but postmaster run still. In the thread model crash all
runningbackend. Big differntion is in the lock method too.

            Karel