problem with grant/revoke - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jerome ALET
Subject problem with grant/revoke
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

First I have to say that I wanted to search for this problem in the
mailing list archive, but each time I've tried it seemed the search engine
was halted or something because it timed out, so I've subscribed to this
list.

I use postgresql v6.5.2 and encounter a problem with permissions:

pcietest=> CREATE USER bob;
CREATE USER

pcietest=> GRANT ALL ON requete TO bob;
CHANGE

pcietest=> REVOKE DELETE ON requete FROM bob;
CHANGE

pcietest=> \connect pcietest bob
connecting to new database: pcietest as user: bob

pcietest=> UPDATE requete SET coderequete = 'hello' WHERE nomrequete =
'something';
ERROR:  requete: Permission denied.

pcietest=> \connect pcietest jerome
connecting to new database: pcietest as user: jerome

pcietest=> GRANT DELETE ON requete TO bob;
CHANGE

pcietest=> \connect pcietest bob
connecting to new database: pcietest as user: bob

pcietest=> UPDATE requete SET coderequete = 'hello' WHERE nomrequete =
'something';
UPDATE 1

pcietest=>

it seems exactly like if the DELETE and UPDATE permissions were mapped to
the same thing, which is IMHO totally incorrect.

what do I do wrong ?
is it a bug or something ?

thanks for any help.

Jerome ALET - alet@unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Faculte de Medecine de Nice - http://noe.unice.fr - Tel: 04 93 37 76 30
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE