Re: your mail - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Re: your mail
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Eric Lee Green wrote:

> I am curious about the cost of triggers.
>
> The MySQL guys claim that they are very expensive. But if I want to put a

Pay now, pay later is more of an issue.  Using triggers means you code
once and then all accesses use the same rules.  If the rules change you
change the triggers not every application that accesses the database.  The
other issue is non-application access to the database.  Without triggers
anyone that can login to the database can make non-rule changes to the
data.  Triggers prevent this.
  This is from a modelling prespective.  The actual design of your
database my require you to go the low-road to get the performance you
need.  Though more memory, faster disk subsystems, and a faster CPU should
help without going that low-road.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson